Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Giving Away Wade Rouse! Hope He's OK With That! (Also? My First Book Review Since High School)

(Post copyright 2011, Dawn Weber)

I’ve spent the past couple days walking into doors, tripping over my feet and neglecting my children.

Nothing new, but I'm more oblivious than usual. I blame author Wade Rouse. I’ve just finished his newest memoir: “It’s All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine" and couldn't put the damn thing down. Read the 288-page book between Tuesday and Wednesday, walking around the house glued to my e-reader like a teen girl to a cell phone.

As regular LightenUp! readers all ten of them - I love you guys! can imagine, of course I'm a huge fan of any book that begins with a prologue called “Jingle Balls," which details Rouse’s great-uncle parading around in a stuffy, crappy Santa Claus suit, complaining to his wife of too-hot testicles. What's not to love?

With that, Rouse kicks off a memoir filled with wacky, offbeat, loving craziness. He throws his front door wide open, inviting us in for his family's bungling celebrations, from childhood to present day with his partner Gary.

Have you ever dismembered a Barbie and glued her to your Valentine box ? Given your beloved a three-pack of Hanes briefs as a romantic gift? Have you ever celebrated "Swedish Day?" No?

Wade has.

Have you ever trick-or-treated in a rural Ozark neighborhood - skin painted black - dressed as an African tribesman? Imagined that Pez dispensers were your "little friends?" Dropped a game-winning baseball while trying to hug (and possibly kiss) your teammate? No?

Wade has.

And it's really no wonder, with a madcap family like his: a dad who buries Easter eggs to make the hunt "more challenging," a mom who "levitates" her son's bed to get him to sleep.

Many other authors have pimped their family foibles for humor's sake: Augusten Burroughs, Laurie Notaro and David Sedaris, *cough* Dawn Weber *cough* to name a few. What makes Rouse different?

Love.

You can almost physically feel Rouse's devotion to his family. He's sprinkled serious pieces about his partner, Gary, their dogs, and especially his (now deceased) mom, a central, grounding figure all through the work. These essays give the collection a depth and flavor not found with other authors, and I finished “It’s All Relative...” wishing I knew Rouse better - that he was in my family or circle of friends.

In fact, I met Rouse once, at the Erma Bombeck Writer’s Workshop last April. Wade walked around, hugging and talking with us, the attendees. When I thanked him for stopping and taking a picture with me, he hugged me again and said:

“Oh, come on - I am just one of you! I am just like you.”

I wish, Wade. I wish.


Wade Rouse is the author of three other memoirs (which I now have to get, because I loved this one so much. Thanks a lot, Rouse.) Fellow writers, don't miss your chance to attend Rouse's upcoming writing workshop, May 12-15 Check it out: http://www.wadeswriters.com/index.html

Be sure to leave a comment below to win a brand-new copy of “It’s All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine." On Sunday, Feb. 13, a winner will be randomly chosen from this post’s commenters. Please ensure I have your e-mail address so I can contact you if you win. The best way to do this is to be sure you're one of my blog followers hint-hint.

17 comments:

  1. Why can I picture you going head first over a coffee table? I just got two of Wade's books back that I loaned to a friend---love him. I had my head in America's Boy non stop last spring. I haven't read It's All Relative yet. Hint, hint, hint, hintity hint hint. Because I haven't bought it yet. Hintymintyfofinty. But maybe I will be a WINNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am the number one contestant you know....so far!!! Ok, ok, I know, I really need to cut back on the caffeine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a hoot! Outta my way, Muffintopmommy! I wanna win!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-oh-oh-oh!!! (Doin' my best Horshack impression.) Pick me!! Pick me!! I so loooooovvvvvve books that make walk into walls & neglect my children (ANY excuse to avoid responsibility, really.) Can't wait to check it out! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does my comment have to be funny to win this damn book or do I have to show cleavage? Jingle Balls...that's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey chic thanks for moseying by my blog via the LBS TB!!

    Sending you a message since you're from Cincinnati too!! Would love to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about amusing memoirs. You make this one sound like a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey--that was an excellent review. Now I want to read it! But, my friend, you could write anything. ;-)
    I, too, met Wade, and thought he was wonderful. Wish I could attend the workshop (gotta save my pennies for the next Erma get-together). Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like our kind of book, we're in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wade was a great speaker at EBWW. I can't wait until Erma Bombeck Writers Workshop in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Pimping your family foibles for humor's sake" - Beautiful! Wade's work is indeed artful, heartwarming and hilarious. (You can leave my name outta the hat, I couldn't wait to devour this book after reading this review - I just bought it for my kindle.) Click, click.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Wade's books and can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to know if this contest is rigged? I read his book, At Least In The City Someone Would Hear Me Scream, and screamed with laughter. You do know he is doing a small writers get together in Saugatuck MI in May? Wanna go?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh great! Like my life wasn't just full enough (and now that my 21 year old daughter, her bff & the dog moved in with us...even fuller...YAY), now you make me want to go out to buy a book to read? A whole book? Wow...it's been years but I am intrigued! Ok, I'll do it, and when they say I'm neglecting them, just guess who I'll be pointing my finger (cursor) at?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to comment just to prove that I never win these damn giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love new reads...and finding new blogs like yours. The book sounds like one I would love to read and then pass on to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NICE review girlie. I gotta read his book. LOOOOve him.
    xo
    shawn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Wade's latest book as I waited to be called in for jury duty.
    I had a sneaky smile on my face the whole time.
    I love all of his work.

    ReplyDelete