Thursday, June 30, 2016

Who Gives a Sh*t? It's Friday


(post copyright 2016, Dawn Weber)

Alarm goes off at 6 a.m.,
You get up - 6:30,
Do you worry? No, you don't,
Who gives a shit? It's Friday.

Coffee, bathroom, brush your teeth,
Shower? If you have to,
More effort than it's probably worth,
And there will be no hairdo.

Grab some Dockers, put them back,
Pull on jeans instead,
They're lucky that you're wearing pants,
That you got out of bed.

Start the car up, back it out,
Drive on down the driveway,
Not much traffic on the road,
When you work on Friday.

You feel all alone out there,
Without jerks beside you,
Wish they were there. Wish you were home,
Or better yet - Oahu.

Slouch into your cubicle,
Look at all your email,
Depressing, so you close it out,
Proceed to paint your toenails.

Eleven a.m. is time for lunch,
Why? Because you said so,
When you work on Fridays,
That is just the way the day goes.

Slip back in at 1 p.m.,
Slide into your desk chair,
Sign onto email and IM,
As if you never left there.

Supervisor's making rounds,
Pretend to be real busy,
By shuffling papers at your desk,
And opening Word docs quickly.

Actively doing nothing,
Is an underrated skill set,
It helps to look annoyed and stressed,
While secretly surfing the internet.

The afternoon drags on and on,
Thank God for your smartphone,
Facebook, Twitter, Bejeweled Blitz,
Till you can finally go home.

Quitting time is 5 p.m.,
You leave your desk - 4:30,
Everyone's gone, even the boss,
They don't give a shit. It's Friday.

17 comments:

  1. I always wanted to leave early on Fridays. My last couple of years at my old job, I had successfully negotiated begin able to leave at 3. Sometimes my boss would let us go earlier. But I mostly wanted to leave at 3 b/c traffic was so horrible. I miss Washington State a lot but not the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clear indication that it is Friday? The bus is mine! Bwa ha ha ha haaaa!

    No, seriously. It's weird having a bus to yourself.

    In Minneapolis, where the living is easy (in the summer),

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that bus is empty for you, Pearl! You could throw yourself a little Friday party!

      Delete
  3. It is just about like that right here and right now. Ooops! Better get back to "work".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on Fridays is against the rules, Jono. Have I taught you nothing? ;)

      Delete
  4. I am so glad to have left that behind. Long behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sums up my Friday life perfectly. Cute post. Have a great weekend.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I wasn't alone, Lisa. Have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  6. I love it Dawn. That's funny.

    For the moment I'm out of the rat race. I could say I miss it, but I don't like to lie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it weird that I get more work done when there's nobody in the office?? I am, shall we say, very distractible. That's nicer than saying the attention span of a gnat. I hope you had today off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately I am reading this on a Monday LOL!

    ReplyDelete