Friday, March 27, 2015

Ode to a Cubicle


They say the sky is bright and clear,
They say it's nice -- just beautiful,
I wouldn't know if that is true,
Since I'm stuck inside my cubicle.

I bet the birds are belting out,
Tunes so bright and musical,
But noise and joy are not allowed,
Here in my dang cubicle.

Fluorescent lights, computer screen,
Word, Power Point and email,
Printer, chair and hopelessness,
That's what makes a cubicle.

At lunch, some people dine outside,
Getting a big belly full,
But all I have's a Lean Cuisine,
And gray walls of a cubicle.

I nuke my food in the kitchenette,
It smells like fish and pizza rolls,
I head back to eat all by myself,
In my sad, pathetic cubicle.

There's the pictures in their frames,
The husband, kids -- all typical,
I don't see them much because,
I'm always in a cubicle.

I'd rather be somewhere with them,
Instead of this here prison cell,
I'd like to see the sun again,
And get out of my cubicle.

It could be worse, I could be broke,
And hooked on pharmaceuticals,
I'd have no job, no home, no cash,
If I didn't have a cubicle.

So here I sit inside cloth walls,
Vigilant, and so dutiful,
I'm on the clock, I do my job,
In my depressing cubicle.

I'm not alone, I know for fact,
My plight is not unusual,
Countless others spend their days,
In motherfucking cubicles.

29 comments:

  1. Sad, but true.
    I hope you get weekend release at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only worked in a cubicle like space at a law firm in CA. It wasn't too bad...there was plenty of natural light from the windows in the lawyers' offices that were in front of our cubicles and they always left their doors open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cubes could easily be arranged to face the windows. The higher ups won't even listen to it, though.

      Delete
  3. I never knew so many things could be rhymed with "cubicle" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny and Strayer - The rhyming dictionary and I are very closed :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you have a relationship that works.

      Delete
  4. I work at home and I do have a window or two to look out, but I do understand that cubicle feeling. May you be released from it for good behavior on the weekends.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not going to like jump out a window or something, are you? To free yourself, from the cubicle. Even though I don't work in one, I got depressed reading that poem and thought I would go stark raving mad in under two weeks. Have you watched those movies, Horrible Bosses and Horrible Bosses 2? They're cathartic, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer - No, I haven't watched them yet, but I am a big fan of Office Space, especially the part we he pushes his cubicle wall down so he can see out the window. Genius.

      Delete
  6. That's very good. You came up with all sorts of ways to use cubicle. I don't have a cubicle, and I'm hooked on pharmaceuticals. I've never had a cubicle. I was always in the middle of a newsroom or a nursing home or a doctor's office. I would take a cubicle if it came with a little salary.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie - I have also worked in the middle of a newsroom, at a desk with NO cubicle walls. That was worse. I guess I better count my blessings.

      Delete
  7. Ah yes, I saw it over at Huff! Nice one! Indigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indigo! So glad to see you back in the blog world :)

      Delete
  8. I work in a cubicle. My cubicle, fortunately, has one window so I get sunlight, but MAN, some days I miss having a DOOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yandie, what are these "windows" of which you speak?
      And yes. My kingdom for a door!

      Delete
  9. Yeah, having to make a living can suck sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, but look on the bright side...summer's coming.
    Oh. Wait. That probably didn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I quit my job to be a full time writer. I bravely escaped those awful, restrictive prisons they call cubicles, as I used to be an IT Monkey (technical term). And now I sit here in my home office, eating a Lean Cuisine, working on Microsoft Word, wondering what the weather is like outside because I haven't left this space all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point, Shower Beer. I have also worked out of home, which made my house much less like home, and much more like prison.

      Delete
  12. You are flat out talented, my friend. As much as I relate to the drudgery of the cubicle, your words really made me smile. Write on. Please, write on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Shelly. It amazes me, the art that can be inspired by...misery.

      Delete
  13. LOL! Love it. And I don't miss my time in a cubicle one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the smiles... And I hope you can break free a bit to see the sky and enjoy something other than plastic wrapped food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Essentially wish to say the article is astounding. The clarity in this post is simply fantastic. office cubicles

    ReplyDelete